|JebDunnuck.com||97 - 99 point|
|The Wine Cellar||
|Vinous.com||96 - 98 point|
|Wine Enthusiast||97 - 99 point|
|Robert Parker||97 - 100 point|
|Jean Marc Quarin - The Independent Buyer´s Guide||
|Jamessuckling.com||97 - 98 point|
Dette vidunderlige 2. Cru slot er nabo til Château Latour og Château Pichon-Comtesse. Siden slottet i 80'erne blev opkøbt af forsikringsgruppen AXA og administreret af anerkendte Jean-Michel Cazes, er der blevet investeret enorme ressourcer i slottet. Der blev indført håndplukning af druerne, brugt flere nye egetræsfade, drueselektionen er blevet skærpet, og ligeledes blev der indført en andenvin. Dette blev genfødslen af en stor Pauillac, og slottet blev ført op i "super seconds" kategorien igen.
Pichon Baron er nu på omgangshøjde med Comtessen, selv om der er meget forskellige, og er i gode årgange en seriøs konkurrent til Latour.
|Flaskestørrelse||Helflaske 75 cl.|
|Leveres i||TRÆ 6|
|Druesorter||80 % Cabernet Sauvignon, 20 % Merlot.|
|Anbefalet til||Rødt kød, fuglevildt, lammekølle eller det store ostebord.|
|Drikkemoden||ved frigivelsen og ca 20 år frem fra høståret|
- 97-99P - Jeb Dunnuck, Juli 2020: "The flagship 2019 Château Pichon- Longueville Baron from this brilliant address is based on 87% Cabernet Sauvignon and 13% Merlot that will spend 18 months in 80% new French oak. The highest percentage of Cabernet Sauvignon ever for Pichon Baron, it has a beautiful bouquet of pure crème de cassis fruit intermixed with Pauillac-driven notes of lead pencil shavings, graphite, unsmoked tobacco, and damp earth. Dense, concentrated, backward, and tight on the palate, it's nevertheless flawlessly balanced, has a vibrant, pure texture, good acidity, and building tannins. The higher Cabernet percentage really gives this beauty a more focused, serious vibe, and the cellar is going to be your friend on this one. Regardless, it's a majestic, heavenly wine in the making."
- 96-98P - Vinous, Juni 2020: "The 2019 Pichon-Longueville Baron was picked from 18 September to 11 October, fermented between 25-29°C and aged in 80% new oak for a planned 18 months. This year it represents just under half the production from their 73 hectares of vine. It has a very refined bouquet, perhaps a little more understated than the 2018, a more cerebral nose with predominantly black fruit laced with cedar, tobacco and a beguiling estuarine scent that becomes more prominent with time. The palate is medium-bodied with sappy black fruit framed by super-fine tannins that lend this a silky smooth, creamy texture. Certainly this is a rich Pichon-Baron, though it retains all the classicism you could ask for. Very fine salinity comes through on the finish with a persistent spice; after tasted that beckons you back for more. This is an outstanding Pauillac. Tasted twice with consistent notes."
- 97-99P - Wine Enthusiast, June 2020: "This great estate has delivered a powerful, dense wine. It brings out both the rich fruit of the vintage and a deceptively massive structure. The blend is dominant in Cabernet Sauvignon, showing a beautifully ripe black-currant flavor. It is intense and set for a long-term future."
- 97-100+P Robert Parker, juni 2020: "The 2019 Pichon-Longueville Baron is a blend of 87% Cabernet Sauvignon and 13% Merlot, harvested from the 18th of September to the 11th of October. It is being aged in French oak barrels, 80% new, for 18 months. This grand vin represents 49% of the harvest. Very deep purple-black in color, the nose skyrockets from the glass with vibrant scents of freshly crushed blackberries, black raspberries and blackcurrant pastilles followed by perfumed sparks of fragrant earth, clove oil, lilacs, crushed rocks, molten chocolate and cinnamon toast. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with layer upon layer of black fruit, mineral and exotic spices, framed by beautifully ripe, finely-grained tannins and tons of freshness, finishing with a lingering soft-spoken whisper of floral and earth notions. This is an absolutely beguiling expression that is classic Pauillac and yet it is Pauillac like no other." Parker fortsætter: "Pichon Baron is different this year. Very different. So different, I had to check the bottle. Same label. Different wine. Better wine." Og artiklen fortsætter: ""I think that it is different," Christian Seely, managing director of AXA Millésimes, which owns Château Pichon Longueville-Baron, told me when I asked him what was going on over there. "I've just done a vertical, and it does stand out as different. What particularly showed well this year was the Cabernet. Now, we are only sourcing the Cabernet from our best terroirs, our deepest gravels on the plateau. We were tasting these and they were so impressive. So, this is the highest proportion of Cabernet ever in Pichon Baron. And there was one parcel of Merlot that did very well-also planted on the plateau. It is the most delicate and fine. What's amazing is the freshness in the wine is almost paradoxical-it was a year when the grapes got extremely ripe. 2019 was a year for the great terroirs to shine. The freshness is almost counterintuitive." Politically speaking, I'm not entirely sure what is happening behind the scenes at Pichon Baron, but last year's 2018 offering was a considerable step up from anything I have ever tasted before at this estate, and this year is, astonishingly, even better. Selection, selection, selection no doubt plays a part. According to Seely, only 49% of the crop made it into this grand vin-just slightly stricter than last year. Frankly, I'm in awe of what Seely and his team have been doing. Keep doing it!"
- Druesorter: 80 % Cabernet Sauvignon, 20 % Merlot.
- Vinstokkenes gennemsnitsalder: 25 år.
- Produktion: 14.000 ks.
- Vinmarkens areal: 31 ha.
- Fadlagring: 18-22 mdr.
- Drikkeklar: ved frigivelsen og ca 20 år frem fra høståret
- Anbefales til: Rødt kød, fuglevildt, lammekølle eller det store ostebord.